Thursday, May 13, 2010

1st Day

Well, what is there to say? I think I said before that I was moved to a direct flight. The people I sat with were really nice, no kids!, and the food was good. They woke me up though to eat, but I was sleeping well. We landed at about 7 a.m., but it took an hour for us to get our luggage which stinks.
I then went to get my train ticket, which took me an hour to realize that I had to buy them from a different place. Finally got the ticket, the lady gave me really bad directions, so I ended up looking like the stupid American, running up to people going-where is this?! At one point I threw my luggage down the stairs because the escalator wasn't working lol. Finally went up to this guy in German, and I asked him in German, and he rattled off something I could probably not repeat ever again, but I knew exactly where to go! The train was "5 minutes late". Don't let that fool you-5 minutes late means when its supposed to come at 9:20, and its late, its not showing up at 925, it will be there at 920, and the doors will shut on you. I took the ICE-a very quiet train. I had to connect in Mannheim which wasn't too bad.
Finally got to Heidelberg, and I had to call Judith so she could pick me up. Stood at the phone for a good 10 minutes trying to figure it out. Turned around to see if someone could help me, and this guy was sitting there smiling, so I'm pretty sure he watched me the entire time. haha He's like, first, pick up the phone. haha Btw..the phones don't give back your change either, so don't put multiple Euros in unless you know you'll need it.
Judith met me at the McDonalds-nice little car. Got situated here at her apartment then we went for a walk and got lunch. I had my first real German Schnitzel-sooo very good. I got this spicy kind called Schnitzel madagaskar. Passed out when we got home..actually passed out in the car ride home. lol
So I guess I should write my first impressions of Germany. The people seem really reserved, they kind of shy away if you walk up to them, its kinda weird for me. Very quiet, I love this. On the trains and such, yes people talk on their cell phones, but its not like a conversation with the whole train, you can barely hear them. I thought that it looked like it was stuck back in the old days until I got to Heidelberg, where it still looks older, but idk how to explain it. I know I'm going to love it here. I'll probably go for a run tomorrow to see more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment