Friday, May 21, 2010

Florence

Definitely ended up falling in love with Rome, and wish I could have spent more time there! Now in Florence, had a bit of a lonely day, but looking forward to tomorrow. Taking a break from sight seeing and doing a bike tour of tuscany instead. We will do a wine and olive oil tasting with a trip to a villa and a nice lunch! Cant wait for it. Really missing everyone back home, and wish I could buy more souveniers, but everythings just too dang expensive here! Florence especially. Not even the churches here have free entrance which really stinks..oh yeah, except for the humongous il Duomo. Cant miss it. Really.

When I got here I couldnt find the hostel and i asked this guy for directions and he went to turn to me and he caught his ankle in a pot hole and twisted it really bad. oops! i didnt know what to do or if he was scaming me so i just stood there until he yelled at me to go away. I felt really bad, but there really was nothing i could do..

So what is there to know about Italy..food is okay, havent tasted anything THAT exciting yet, but ive only had 2 meals really. wine-very yummy..including the cheap stuff. People-kind of rude towards tourists seeing that we are investing in their economy. Environment-much less polluted than Greece from what i remember.

Ive actually been disappointed a bit with the huge attractions like the statue of david-which wasnt too bad, the collosseum, and the Sistine Chapel, but before i end the sentence, there was other things that really attracted me, like a painting in the same museum as the statue of david *i have a postcard*, Palatine Hill-across from the Colloseum, and the halls leading up to the Sistine Chapel were absolutely stunning, not to mention they had an egyptian exhibit going on also. I thought this was weird, but at the same time okay. Just because I dont think one place is as great as its led up to be, doesnt mean I cant find something that stuns me. Just a side note, all I said was that they disappointed me, not that I didnt like them. I thought with all the hype behind some attractions id like be thrown off my feet, but some of these places just didnt do it for me. Everything I have seen though I value a lot. Its great that I can see these things now, who knows if Ill ever travel here again.

Anyways, thats enough for tonight. Need to get some rest for the bike ride tomorrow-10 miles! yay!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really like Florence. It just didn't feel safe, and it rained the whole time I was there. But I did get some awesome scarves at the market. And I might have liked it better if I had climbed up in the tower thing. But I didn't want to pay admission. And I didn't get to see David--we sort of got lost trying to get there. But the Victoria and Albert Museum in London has a replica of it that was made from a cast of the real one, and I got to see that. So I'm good, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Florence. I didnt think it had too much to offer though. I felt safe while I was there. I didnt climb the tower either..too much work for me! Although in verona we climbed the tower there...a mere 368 steps. The David was cool. I wasnt too into the Uffitsi gallery though. They also had a cast of david outside of it too.

    ReplyDelete